Friday, September 10, 2010

Take time to make time....

Ive looked at "L's" half made blankee several times today. Same thought keeps coming to mind......"When am I EVER going to find the time to finish this?" 

I started the blankee a little under a year ago when my hubby Big "L" and I found out our family of three would soon be a family of four! I think it was one of the first things I did, right after I jumped up and down a million times screaming "I'm P-R-E-G-N-A-N-T"  to just about anybody and everybody that would listen and even those that wouldn't. :)

This blankee reminds me that no matter how many times that I tell myself each day that I am going to make myself find the time to work on it I never do. Why? Well, lets see.....there's that pile of laundry in the corner that is never ending, dishes that are always needing to be done, floors that need to be vacuumed/mopped, breakfast, lunches, and dinners, a big brown puppy that is begging to be played with, and last but not certainly not least my beautiful family that comes before all of this and the time, attention, and love that goes into each moment I am with them.

I feel like Ive forgotten someone on that list. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention ME!! That's right, ME! I don't have time for myself. Maybe I should rephrase that. I don't MAKE time for myself. I'm sure this is a common problem for most people. Work, school, family, personal commitments always getting put first before some good old relaxation time. Do we even know what relaxation means anymore?

I thought with our daughter "A" back in school it would mean a little time for Big "L" and I to relax, and just oh I don't know maybe sit on the couch and breathe!!! Hmmmmm, what fantasy land was I living in?? For just a few hours each day we cant even find 10 minutes, not even 5 minutes to sit down and have a cup of tea together. Catch up on some "us" time. Not to say that we don't have "us" time, its just that our version of it is filled with two beautiful children begging for our attention.

Now, I'm not complaining about that whatsoever! I don't know what I would do without them in my life. They are what keeps my heart beating, keeps that smile on my face, what reminds me just how much I am loved and needed. I also know though that without some "me" time I cant be my best for them. I need some time to just be able to do what I need to do/want to do for a few minutes each day. Just like our cell phones need to be charged so do we from time to time. We need that energy put back into us so we can be ourselves. Be able to offer our best to those we love.

This is how Ive come to the realization that its OK to say no once in a while. Its OK to say can you watch the kids so I can go have 10 minutes to read a chapter in a book, catch up on emails, or maybe just maybe finish that blankee for my beautiful little "L".   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment