Saturday, September 11, 2010

Easier said then done....or maybe not!

I woke up today feeling great. After about a week of being sick I had finally come out of being "under the weather"..... We got out of bed, got the kids fed breakfast and then off I went to go bake in the "sun"! Oh, how I love my "light therapy" mommy time. On my way I stopped to pick up the mail. Mistake #1. I open the mailbox and there in that tiny little space is a very very big dreaded letter from.....gasp......our Lawyer.

We only hear from her when Mr. "X" is pulling some stupid stunt. I wont go into too much detail as its not worth the pain of typing it down but as I'm sure you are guessing, Mr. "X" is just that, an ex. A horrible person who only looks out for himself, harming others when he wants and using them when it suits him. If you think I'm being harsh, trust me, I'm not.

The letter instantly put me into a horrible foul mood. Mistake #2.  Panic shooting all over inside me. It was a race to get back to the car to see what was inside. Ripping open the letter to read that he wants his monetary "donation"  for little "A" to be reduced. Why??? Cause he's unable to find employment after quitting his last job. I sit there for a minute stunned. Ive lost all memory of my happy carefree mood. Sitting there for a moment longer I think well there goes tanning. I'm just too upset to be bothered to go. Almost mistake #3 until I tell myself that I should go.

I walked into the tanning salon trying with all my heart to not look grumpy and push my foul mood onto anyone undeserving. Off to the room to slather on my lotion and crawl into the "bed" to disapear for a moment in time. As I was getting ready I overheard one of the girls say to everyone that she was getting married today. I couldn't help but smile a little as I thought of the day I married Big "L". It was the greatest day of my life, one I will never forget!

They were asking her where the wedding was going to be. As she told them they all chimed in at the same time saying "Indoor's I hope"??? She replied in such a happy voice "Nope, its going to be outdoors no matter what"!! They must of all looked at her like she was crazy as it had been raining most of the morning.  She went on to tell them that she was going to have her perfect wedding with or without the weathers cooperation.

At this point I jumped in the "bed" attempting to let my mind take a little nap but I couldn't help but think about how positive this girl was being. She could have very easily been upset. She could of made such a big fuss out of how things weren't going her way. Instead she saw the better side. She wasn't going to let anything get in her way.

It occurred to me that I was letting Mr. "X" control my day. Letting him "win". I realized that while things might not always go your way you can have some control over the situation. You can choose to let it get you down, or you can pick yourself up and make the most of it. Something I seem to be better at telling then doing.

So Ive spent most of the day today telling little "A" she can do it! No matter what it is if you just put your mind to it you can achieve it!  I need to not only encourage my family to be the best they can be and believe in themselves but also I need to remind myself that even though things sometimes look dark and depressing there is always a brighter side to be found.

For most people its easier to tell someone what to do then it is to follow their own advice. This time though, I'm not going to make those mistakes. I'm going to remember its just as easy to say as it is to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment